Music festivals are doing it… schools and colleges around the country are doing it… can you stop using single-use plastic?
It’s definitely a challenge and takes some forward planning but at Rabot HQ we’re trying extra hard to minimize our environmental impact for Plastic-Free July and beyond. Here’s what we can all do to make sustainable changes:
- Ditch bought water and take a refillable bottle everywhere.
- Take your reusable coffee cup out with you - Rabot cups coming soon to the US!
- Swap plastic wrap for beeswax wrap or use brown paper sandwich bags for packed lunches.
- Never go shopping without your reusable shopping bags. We have them in the car, in our bags and at the office.
- Put fruit and veg in the grocery store into paper bags or just loose with the rest of your shopping. Refuse pre-packed produce where possible as they use non-recyclable, single-use plastics.
- Don’t underestimate how good it feels to reduce the rubbish that hits your doormat each day! Unsubscribe from mailing lists to minimize your envelope usage.
- Research businesses that offer a refill service. This is a huge growth area and you can read about the rise in zero waste shopping in this Smithsonian article and this one from Martha Stewart.
- Stop using - or accepting - plastic straws. There are now brilliant metal or compostable alternatives widely available.
- Teabags contain microplastics. Yes, really. The One Million Women website has a really useful guide to what to look for on labels.
Head over to www.plasticfreejuly.org for more tips.
We’d love to know what you’re doing. Tag us @rabot1745usa and use #PlasticFreeJuly.